This happened sometime in the month of march 2018
On this fateful day, Mrs M.Q. had to close earlier than usual from her shop. She wasn’t feeling too well, so on getting home, she thought it not out of place to pay the patent medicine store a visit.
When asked what her complain was, she replied chills and headache. She was given some medications which she didn’t know the names or what they are meant for. She swallowed them in good faith hoping to get some rest when she got home, they were about 12 tablets in total.
Six hour’s later instead of getting the improvement she so hoped for, she realized rather that she was gasping for air, feeling like her airway was closed. Instead of her normal breathing pattern, she seemed like she was drowning and hungry for air. By this time her relatives who knew no better had began to pour water over her head.
Shortly afterwards she fell into a sleep. A sleep which later turned out to be a coma. a coma that lasted for over 72 hours.
After 12 hours of “sleeping” with the heaving and extremely labored breathing still ongoing, members of her family concluded it was time they take her to the nearest hospital in her “sleep” state.
On getting to a privately owned hospital, she was placed on I.V. fluids and oxygen therapy, some investigations were carried out. As a matter of fact the doctors there kept her for a little over 48 hours. Doing the best they could.
After exhausting all their options or rather doing all they could for her with no improvement. They decided it was high time they referred her to a tertiary institution for more expert care.
At the tertiary institution, diverse medical interventions continued. She was diagnosed as suffering from adverse drug interaction and opiod poisoning.
Everything was done to resuscitate her : the works, oxygen therapy, continuous monitoring of vital signs, gastric lavage, activated charcoal, e.t.c. but unfortunately, she lost her life about 4 hours after arriving the E.R.
Going through a list of the medications she was served over the counter, one would be forced to ask, who could do this? And the answer is not far away, of course , it’s a quack.
They are the only ones brazen enough to prescribe :—
Morale of the story :
*Cheap over the counter drugs can get you killed.*
*Always ask for the name of the drugs sold to you at the patent medicine store to be written in the dispensing envelopes*